Friday 12 April 2013

Empire Exhibition 1924

While sorting through some stuff I found this little book.  
Front and Back Covers

You can read all about the Empire Exhibition here, with details about King George V here.

My Mother went to the Exhibition with her parents in May and, fortunately for me, liked to use her camera so this is my potted version:-



Canada Pavilion detail from pamphlet


Nan and Grandad outside the Pavilion




 Details of Burma and Hong Kong Pavilion












 Photos of Mam outside the Burma Pavilion







Photos taken outside the Hong Kong Pavilion




here is a Plan of the whole Exhibition

There was also a 'Pleasure Park' - in my opinion the details show how desperate the Organisers were to encourage people to visit.











There are a couple of other photos taken in May, but where I cannot confirm.  I would think that they were taken in either Isle of Wight or at Brighton.  My grandparents had a house on the Isle of Wight but I have not managed to ascertain exactly when.



I don't think my Mother was very impressed and Nanna certainly had better things to do!






but I think she could be persuaded to stop for a moment and (almost) smile!


and this one is priceless!!!!!
something my Mother definitely forgot about.............


Grandad SMOKING!!!



NB

An interesting update on the Crystal Palace can be found on Jenny's blog here



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info